10/13/11

Changing the Mobile Gaming Industry w/Owner of GaminRide - Dave Soliday

Franchise Owner, Dave Soliday purchased a Gamin’ Ride Mobile Video Gaming Franchise late in 2010. After 20+ years in corporate sales, it was time to do something on his own. What he found was Fun, Exciting, Unique and very, very different. Gamin’ Ride brings the party to you, so you can have a party at your house, not in your house (www.gaminride.com).

The most popular events are private Birthday Parties, but Gamin’ Ride also provides entertainment at Church, School, Corporate and Community Events – just to name a few. The excitement and enthusiasm generated when Gamin’ Ride pulls up is awesome. Parents are amazed at how much fund their kids have in the Gamin’ Ride Theater.

Soliday graduated from North Central College in Naperville, IL with a Business Management degree. A life-long athlete, he volunteered to coach his two daughters in basketball and fast pitch softball. The interaction with the kids was something he really enjoyed; he spotted Gamin’ Ride while looking at Franchise Opportunities in 2010, and it seemed like a natural fit.

Soliday also offers an iDance system through Gamin’ Ride. It’s essentially Dance Dance Revlolution on steriods. Imgaine 32 wireless, arcade style dance mats, all connected to the same system. Participants all watch the same game on a 10′ by 10′ screen, and compete against each other. Although iDance can have many applications, Soliday uses it to promote a new, fund raising program for Schools, called Earn N Burn (www.earnnburn.com). It’s an alternative to product based fund raisers which often reward few kids; Earn N Burn provides a school-wide, interactive assembly for all students!

When people ask Soliday what he does, his reply: “I put smiles on people’s faces”.

Do you think the education you’ve invested in helped you on the road to success?

No question. I sometimes reflect upon my political science and philosophy classes and realize, it wasn’t always about the content – sometimes it was as important to grasp the process of anlayzing a situation, or problem. Challenges in life are not always easy to figure out – there is not a clear right or wrong answer. The education I received helped prepare me to effectively analyze and solve problems.

Life lessons learned outside the classroom also proved to be valuable. Involvement in Athletics, Intramurals, Residence Life, Student Government and various clubs on campus all helped add additional value.

What was the “break point” or an AHA moment in your career that made you decide to start what you’re currently doing & how did you come up with that Idea?

Frustration in the corporate world; watching the company do the same things over, and over again, while expecting different results. Some define that as insanity – and it must have rubbed off on me. I started challenging the direction of the company. I became that guy in meetings, who would ask the questions no one else would ask. I’d question why we were not altering product development processes, because it had been a long time since we’d had a successful new product launch.

When the CEO retired and his replacement was not only from inside the company, but was the guy heading up product development, the writing was on the wall. It was obvious nothing was going to change and I had to get out. As it turned out, the new CEO felt the same way about me.

I looked at Franchises first, because I didn’t want to reinvent the wheel. It was amazing to see the variety of different business opportunities which existed. In the end, I saw something which would be fun and very different. So, even though it was a franchise, it was young, exciting and new.

As a young professional, what were some of the mistakes that you made and what did you learn?

Easy – mistake was talking too much. What I learned – Listening is key.

As a sales guy, I thought my job was to pitch the customer on what I was selling. What I learned was, it was my job to understand what the customer’s problem was, and then see how I could help them solve their problem.

What is one accomplishment that you are extremely proud of?
Although not perfect and still a work in process, being a Dad to two daughters who are pretty good kids. When I get feedback on my daughters from other adults – it makes me smile, and it makes me proud.

What advice can you offer to your readers?

Perspectives are really interesting; even more interesting, is how one’s perspective, or outlook on a situation can – sometimes – help pre-determine the outcome.

Happy and optimistic people aren’t that way because everything goes their way; they are that way because they choose to be that way. If you want to know what I would like to do better, it’s to be more conscious of how I choose to look at, and handle different situations.

What do you do for fun & where do you get your Inspiration from?
Youth Sports. I am on the board for our youth basketball association. Until I started my business, i was also coaching. Watching kids learn and have success is awesome. Seeing their face light up when they score their first basket – it’s priceless.

What is your favorite gadget(s), software(s), website(s) that makes your life easier and more productive?

Wow – the problem with technology these days, as soon as you find something, a new site, or app comes along. It always seems like someone is telling me about something new I need to look into.

I’d say Smart Phones are almost a necessity these days – they help you be so much more productive. On the downside however, you feel like you are always connected.

I’ve do like twitter; it helps me stay on top of what’s going on in the world.

Aroundme is an app that helps various types of establishments around, or near where you are.

Who would you like to see featured here and why?

My Franchisor, Michael Falgares is a pretty interesting guy, with an interesting story.

mfalgares@gaminride.com

Ways to Connect with you:
email: dsoliday@gaminride.com
FB: www.facebook.com/gaminride.twincities
Twitter: @dgsolidman
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/davesoliday


From: http://ping.fm/fDq6Z

No comments:

Post a Comment