5/27/11

GO TRY IT ON & get an opinion - Interview with the Founder, Marissa Evans.

GO TRY IT ON – Honest Advice On Your Look Before You Go Out!
A website and mobile app for getting a second opinion on your outfit in real time. User-friendly interface on the website and the Mobile App, allows its users upload pictures and obtain real-time opinion on their outfits from a community of like-minded users or pre-set group of friends.

Founded by Marissa Evans, GoTryItOn was launched in March 2010 and boasts approximately 80,000 monthly users, while the iPhone App has been downloaded more than 250,000 times.

Q: Do you think the education you’ve invested in helped you on the road to success?

Very much so– I was able to study Human Development at Cornell University which was a very practical major — and then went on to Harvard Business School which allowed me to hone my analytical skill. My education opened me up to the world beyond my backyard. I feel as though it was invaluable for me as a stepping stone to where I am now.

Q: What was the “break point” or an AHA moment in your career that made you bring your idea to life?

I was working at a digital marketing agency and realized what type of gap there was in the market when it came to everyday, practical fashion needs….I noticed a behavior between my friends and thought that I could help people in a basic, yet relevant way! GO TRY IT ON was always meant to feel like having a bunch of your most trusted friends with you shopping…the brand had to feel friendly and helpful.

Q: What were some of the mistakes that you made and what did you learn from them?

Mistakes are part of a startup. I’d say the main mistake I make is taking myself too seriously…This is all icing … I think if you look at each day as an opportunity to learn you don’t put too much pressure on yourself and everything works out.

You Might Also Be Interested In:

7 Must Read Books for Female Entrepreneur

7 Best Social Media Websites for Women

Q: How do you measure success?

Success is very much about learning for me personally. Also, I want everyone who gets dressed in the morning to use GO TRY IT ON.

Q: What is one advice that you can offer to your readers?

I’d say startups start with an idea and big ideas come from small ideas…You have to start somewhere, so don’t feel intimidated by trying to change the world tomorrow…Go out and talk to someone about your idea…and then someone else, and add/change/model your idea… all of a sudden you have a bunch more than when you started…make progress like that.

Q: Besides “Trying it On” what do you do for fun?

Comedic improv

Q: What is your favorite 1) gadget(s), 2) software(s), 3) website(s) that makes your life easier and more productive?

iPhone 4g. I also love my MiFi

Are you a Mac or a PC? I’m a Mac Air girl.

Ways to Connect with you:

Twitter: @mevans1

Website: http://ping.fm/MZ4jk

From: http://ping.fm/zldOG

No comments:

Post a Comment