11/10/11

?Save Children?s Lives? with Aruzhan Sain, Founder of the Charitable Organization

Aruzhan Sain is one of Kazakhstan’s successful television executives of contemporary entertainment industry. For almost 20 years, her production center, Aruzhan and Co., has been well-known for its daily and weekly television shows, like “Taxi,” a licensed U.S. version of “Cash Cab;” “Warm-Up,” “Astrological Forecast,” “Cash at your Door;” also some culinary shows, like “Quick and Tasty” and “The Superstar Menu.” In addition, there is a program for young parents, called “Mom’s School,” as well as a charitable program “Save Children’s Lives”. Since its inception in 2007, this non-profit initiative has saved 331 children’s lives. For more information about this organization please visit www.detdom.kz and www.aruzhantv.kz.

What was the “breaking point” of your career that made you decide to do what you’re currently doing? When do you think your career officially started?

My career takes its roots from a tender age of 13 when I have decided to sell newspaper on weekends while in school. I’ve even asked my school’s Dean for a favor to allow me an optional class attendance on Fridays and Saturdays, in return of which, I had to excel in all of my grades. And boy, did I ever! Some teachers were not happy with this unconventional idea. My parents, on the other hand supported my choices. Gradually, I’ve started earning money, invaluable life experiences, gained independence, and contributed to the family budget. The delivery job was not easy! These events took place parallel to the end of the Soviet era.

Some other work experiences that have contributed to my diverse professional background were conducting private lessons is aerobics and ballet at age 14. I graduated my high school with High Honors, and was admitted to KazGU, Kazakhstan State University with no entrance exam. Having reached such major milestones at an early age, I felt fully equipped to jump-start on my new and exciting career move in Television that I love and enjoy till this day.

Do you think the education you’ve invested in helped you on the road to success?

Of course it did! I received a solid education, majoring in Ecology at KazGU. This major involves a thorough understanding and knowledgebase of diverse science disciplines, such as geography, math, physics, chemistry, biology, politics, demographics, to name a few. I am elated to know that this type of educational background had shaped me into who I am today. It provided with knowledge of the world from inside out, changed and broadened my outlook on the world and environment. To this date, I continue to apply the knowledge I received into the everyday life and my career.

How is it like to be a woman in your field?

I don’t find it applicable to talk about my career in terms of gender. I tend to think that as

long as you work hard and love what you do, the success will eventually come. No one but you is responsible for your professional development and success. Luckily, I have not experienced gender pressure in my career. I thrive on the fact that I create my own opportunities, and execute them accordingly, despite the pre-defined societal gender pressures.

As a young professional, what were some of the mistakes that you have made and what have you learnt?

People learn from their mistakes. You are very wise if you can learn from mistakes of others. I admit I made a lot of mistakes

, and that is fine. If you decide to create and work on something new, mistakes are inevitable. However, they should be admitted and taken as lessons learned. Mistakes can bring new opportunities. For instance, every time we watch a re-run of any show, we constantly find mistake, but then we learn from them. Some of my other entrepreneurial ideas did not work out, but I walked out from each failure with a pocketful of added wisdom.

What advice can you offer your readers?

Always dream and be determined! Do everything possible to make those dreams a reality! When we decided to start the show called “Warm-Up,” we had no experience whatsoever. Where do we find a director, a cameraman, space, outfits, and sponsors? How do we get it broadcasted? Step by step, surviving only on our dream and determination, we were able to fin
Do not be afraid of laborious and dirty jobs. It is the labor that evolved a human out a monkey. Zamira, my partner, and I have filmed under some challenging conditions. We started from a very bottom and were involved in any aspects of the business: from carrying equipment, washing dishes after the cooking show, and operating with no sleep. Today we understand our business inside out and it gives us a huge competitive advantage. Today we are the experts.d what we needed to create our very first television show. Watching it today, we laugh at all the mistakes we made back then.

How do you define success?

Success is finding a harmony and a balance in life. Professional success is when one wakes up and is happy to go to work every day and able to enjoy every minute of it. Personal success is when one is also happy to go back home after work.

Can you tell us more about your charity project “Save Children’s Lives?”

We started this project in 2007. Today we saved lives of over 300 children. It breaks my heart to talk to parents and see very sick children, but when we find help for these kids I feel better and stronger. Thanks to the financial and volunteer contributions of ordinary people we are able to treat and take care of these sick children.

How can people help?

Our website www.detdom.kz provides detailed information on how anyone can help. The popularity of our charity is getting not only people’s attention, but also our government’s. We work with Ministry of Health on trying to develop a more efficient health system for our kids with disease that cannot be treated in Kazakhstan yet. We would be thankful if some interested parties overseas could help us establish some communication channels with foreign hospitals, to get in touch with other charity organizations that can provide some help, and organize seminars for our doctors here.

Another huge project, “Kazakhstan without orphans” is also in the works. The idea is simple — to get our orphans adopted into loving homes. We are also in a great need for sponsors and contributions here. As soon as we get the legislation to finalize the legalities, we are going to work on our organization’s website.

What is your favorite gadget(s), software(s), website(s) that makes your life easier and more productive?

My Nokia E7. It is great phone, but a little too sophisticated for me sometimes. I am still trying to get used to it. I use Skype for communication with people overseas.

I use my social media mainly for promoting the charity events, news, and updates. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with social media. But I am learning to find my balance in the ocean of information that social media brings with it.

Who would you like to see featured here and why?

Ermek Tursunov, Director of film, “Kelin.” Igor Gonopolskii, a film director. Ilya Autov, from Motor-roller group. Journalist, Tulegen Bautukenov. Alisher Yelikbaev, an influential blogger and activist. Slava Nerush, founder of Chesnok.kz. Actress, Bayan Esentaeva. Erzhan Suleimenov, Khabar TV Station. They are all volunteers of our charity and great individuals.

From: http://ping.fm/Lz4RX

No comments:

Post a Comment