9/21/11

How to Succeed in Radio Industry - Interview w/Co-host at Elvis Duran & the Morning Show: TJ Taormina

“Don’t be afraid to take risks to pursue your dream life. People may try to knock you down, make fun of what you’re trying to accomplish, laugh behind your back, etc…. Who cares!” – TJ Taormina.

TJ Taormina is a co-host on the nationally syndicated Elvis Duran and the Morning Show based out of flagship radio station Z100 in New York City.

2. Do you think the education you’ve invested in helped you on the road to success?

I do. I had a much different route than your traditional “education path” though. I started working at a local college radio station when I was 16 years old and still in high school. I spent my own time learning as much as I could about the equipment and would be grateful for every minute I could have there. Luckily, I had great people who invested time in showing me the ropes at that station. It allowed me to start at Z100 with a head start already knowing more than the basics.

3. What was the “break point” or an AHA moment in your career that made you decide to start what you’re currently doing & how did you come up with that Idea?

There were two in my life. The first was working for my father as a young teenager. He has his own window installation company. He’s extremely successful and one of the best at his craft. One summer he forced me to work with him and help him out on the job. Unfortunately for Dad, I knew right away that there was NO way I would be taking over the family business. I wanted to jump out of the windows he was installing. It was HARD WORK and I hated it. I figured out in that moment… I better get real serious about figuring out what I want to do for a living. One of the things that brought me the most joy was listening to the radio. I decided in an instant… I want to entertain an audience and make them as happy as I was while listening. I had no idea where to begin though. I let that idea sit in my head for a while and just continued to listen to different shows more intensely. Rather than just being entertained by these shows… I started listening to the shows as a critic. What did I like about them? What were they doing that I loved so much? The second AHA moment, was the one that really drove me to pursue my dream career. I lost my good friend Steven to cancer at 16 years old. He was a great guy. Always had a smile on his face and a positive outlook on life. When we lost him… It sunk in like a meteor in my brain that life is too precious to waste. I realized that I better stop thinking about doing radio… and actually do it. Shortly after, I called every college radio station in the area. Luckily, WFDU (Fairleigh Dickinson University) called me back and invited me to be a part of their station. That phone call changed my life and led me to what I’m doing today.

4. As a young professional, what were some of the mistakes that you made and what did you learn?

Don’t allow gossip or negative people to waste any of the space in your brain. If you allow them to slow you down even for a second, you’re wasting precious energy that should be used towards your success.

5. What is one accomplishment that you are extremely proud of?

Good health, family, friends, and living comfortably. I read a great quote in a book that I often recommend to people trying to pursue their dreams. It said something to the effect of, “You can have all the money in the world… but your health is always your most valuable asset.” It’s so simplistic… but so true. If you don’t take care of your body… how will you enjoy all the success you achieve? That book is “The Success Principles” by Jack Canfield

6. What advice can you offer to your readers?

Don’t be afraid to take risks to pursue your dream life. People may try to knock you down, make fun of what you’re trying to accomplish, laugh behind your back, etc…. Who cares! Doing what you love is a great filtering process. It makes it easy to weed the negative people out of your life.

YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:

How to Bring Ideas to Life | 8 Traits of Successful Young Professional |

7. What do you do for fun?

I love creating. I find that even when I’m not working, I’m thinking about creating fun material for the radio or for my group of friends. I’ll spend hours producing fun videos just to show them to like 7 friends. We have such a blast watching them though. I love going to the movies. I enjoy stand up comedy. Really, the best times I have are with my closest friends. I’m very fortunate to have a close group of guys who really love each other and enjoy spending any time we can get together. It’s weird. When you grow up and become an adult… you realize how precious that hang out time can become. If only we could get back the hours upon hours we were wasting in high school just asking each other, “what do you want to do?”

8. What is your favorite gadget(s), software(s), website(s) that makes your life easier and more productive?

I’m definitely a Mac guy. My Macbook Pro is the absolute best partner in creation.

10. Who would you like to see featured here and why?

My boss Elvis. Also Carolina, Danielle and Froggy from our show!

Ways to Connect with you:

Twitter – @radioTJ

“Like” my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/theTJpage

tj@elvisduran.com

From: http://ping.fm/xFeWz

No comments:

Post a Comment