4/22/11

How to Create Content that Pays! Interview with the Founder of Content Equals Money, Amie Marse

Amie Marse is the founder of ContentEqualsMoney.com, a US based content writing service. Content creation is both a huge and much needed service field. Everybody knows that content is king on the net and with the new Google updates, the need for quality content is growing by the day. Content Equals Money strives to provide quality content at reasonable prices by a fantastic team and with stellar customer service.
Amie Marse has tried (and failed) at many business ventures in the past few years. She’s a huge believer in the concept of “blooming where you are planted” and is constantly tweaking her vision for her life and her business.
The common thread among all of Amie’s past positions would be customer service. She is constantly thriving to make the experience of purchasing the best it can possibly be. And though she would love to grow Content Equals Money into a major player of the content generation field, she is cautious about moving away from the customer centric business model. In short, automation is not her answer.

Q: Do you think the education you’ve invested in helped you on the road to success?
Absolutely! Education sets the pace for your success and your business. However, like many of the other interviewees I agree that academics and education are not always the same thing.
In fact, my educational background is a smorgasbord, ranging from an undergrad in Systematic Theology to an MBA. The skills you learn in college, especially your undergraduate experience, often have very little to do with your major. It’s the skill of critical thinking, time management and the ability to see a goal through to fruition that takes you far in life.
I applaud anyone who knew how they wanted to spend the rest of their life during their college years. For the rest of us, just keep trucking. The point is to keep learning and keep flexing those brain muscles. Learning how to study will make any book your classroom.

Q: What was the “breaking point” in your career that made you decide to build your own brand?
Two things converged and caused me to jump out there with Content Equals Money. One is my ongoing desire to build something intangible. Note, I have absolutely no skills for physical labor. You should see the 15 holes my latest “let’s hang new drapes” massacre caused. I’m much more able to build a team or create an experience. So in the last few years I was constantly coming up with ideas. All of them failed. Miserably.
During this time I was making part time income writing content for various people online. I started doing little side projects on Warrior Forum and other places. It was $20-$30 bucks here or there. It grew very slowly and naturally through word of mouth. What started as a little extra cash turned into a part time job.
In October 2010, I realized that I had too much work for myself. I had a group of clients that constantly brought me stuff to do. And I spoke to one of my very dear friends about how surprised I was that the only thing I wasn’t actively marketing was successful. It was during a very long dinner at Bone Fish Grill that the spark happened. I was marketing the way I had read in books or seen other people market their products. I wasn’t marketing myself and my persona. My strength was in the intangibles.
It was that conversation that moved writing content from funding my business ventures to being my business venture.

Q: What were some obstacles that you had to overcome? How do you overcome failure?
I find that the most successful entrepreneurs are like Houdinis of poor circumstances. What some people see as an obstacle, we see as an opportunity for greatness. My father says I am a fount of optimism. Sometimes that is a compliment. Sometimes.
More than anything, I had to overcome a huge confidence issue. In order for my brand to market the intangible, I had to put myself out there. Put my name and picture all over the site. Clients need to see your face. This was a tough one for me. However, it was a necessity. And now I am much more confident about my business and my face.
Personal issues and other things come up constantly for those that are engaged. And you just have to roll with the punches. Bad stuff happens. You have to get over it. When I am struggling with a specific issue I try to gain perspective. One trick I use and share constantly with people is this:
Take a good hard look at your circumstances. Then, go out and find someone who has exactly the same issues. Same diagnoses, family history, whatever it is. Somebody out there has the same problems. Then, find 3 people with those issues that are successful. There is a guy with no feet that ran the Hawaii Iron Man. No feet!

Q: Can you tell an interesting story from your professional life?
About once or twice a month I get an email from a client about a service issue. Mistakes happen in my business just like any other. What’s interesting is that these clients feel comfortable sharing their issues with me. Most of the time it is a simple miscommunication, sometimes it is a bit more than that. The point is I have achieved the intangible. I am approachable. Nobody likes to tell someone they made a mistake. That’s why I take it as such a compliment when a client gives me the opportunity to make it right for them.
Don’t get me wrong, I would rather run a completely perfect business. However, I work with real people with real businesses and real desires. That complicates things. And that’s why I run from automation any time I can. It might make my life easier, but if automation means losing approachability, it also means losing business.

Q: As a young professional, what were some of the mistakes that you made and what did you learn.
Good gravy! What mistakes didn’t I do? Haha. Here’s just a quick couple:
So many of us spend first and ask questions later. I’m no different. I dropped a couple thousand dollars on a website and inventory for a company that made 5 sales. And two of them were from my mom. I learned the value of risk management the hard way. Good thing it was a write off. Another good thing about risk management is the impact of your mistakes. In other words, I’m glad I only wasted a couple thousand on that project. If I had been funded I would still be paying that off.
Another big mistake I have made is giving people too much, too soon. Here’s where that fount of optimism is not a compliment. I’ve given jobs to friends who were terribly unqualified. I’ve given raises to people who didn’t deserve them. Everybody wants to be cool and nice. Nice is one thing, stupid is another. Business is business. Buy them a latte, but make them earn a job.

Q: How do you measure success?
By how many emails I get. If I wake up to 50 emails I am pumped for the day ahead. At this stage of the game everything still comes through me. So a bunch of emails means a lot of order requests, order fulfillments and opportunities to engage. I’m constantly amazed by how many people reach out to me. If I only see 10-20 emails I begin to sweat. An empty email box means it is time to hustle. Just kidding, it’s always time to hustle!

Q: What is one advice that you can offer your readers?
Contemplate the atmosphere you want your business to have. Then build your business around that. For example, I don’t take kindly to angry/hateful people. So when I come across a client that is rude or demeaning I tell them to take a hike. People like that are a huge energy drain on me. Losing their business is more than made up by my productivity with newer clients. And they hurt my team. Remember when you are creating the atmosphere you want, that includes building a fantastic core group of workers. Invest in them with all you have. Defend them, protect them, train them. The biggest compliment you can get from a team member is their loyalty, earn it.

Q: What do you do for fun?
I’m very glad to live in Lexington, KY. I enjoy the bluegrass for all it has to offer. This includes horses, bourbon and UK basketball. Go Big Blue! I live with two adorable pooches and I spend a huge amount of time listening to business development Podcasts.

Q: What is your favorite gadget, software, website that makes your life easier or more productive?
iPhone – It’s a little embarrassing how much time I spend playing Angry Birds, but other than that a super helpful device. Apps like Evernote keep me organized.
Indinero – This site/software is incredibly helpful to my finances. It’s not that I couldn’t do the books without it, I just wouldn’t want to.
Empire Ave – This is a virtual stock exchange based on your social media activity. It is incredibly useful as a way to keep myself on a social media schedule.
Yousendit – Allows you to send huge files. This has been incredibly helpful to me when sending mp3s or pictures.

Q: Whom would you like to see featured here and why?
Abby Kerr: I have been stalking her a bit through twitter. She seems to have a thriving business that is fresh. Very inspiring. http://abbykerrink.com
Justin Popovic: Super personable guy who is doing incredibly well in the internet marketing space. I’ve always enjoyed our interactions and I can only imagine he has great truths to share. http://justinpopovic.com/

Ways to connect with me:
Company Site: www.ContentEqualsMoney.com
Twitter: @Content_Money
Empire Avenue – WRITERS
Email: amie@contentequalsmoney.com
Linkedin: Amie-Marse
Facebook: ContentEqualsMoney

No comments:

Post a Comment