4/22/11

David Khan – converting financial systems one Bank at a time


As an accomplished Database/Systems Architect, David Khan has had extensive experience impacting corporate performance through skillful development, implementation, and orchestration of database and systems environments for various organizations. With documented achievements in information systems, team, and project management, as well as having multiple leadership roles with Fortune 100 organizations, he is a proven leader in data technologies and is well recognized amongst his peers. David holds BS in Computer Science & Biology from NYU and Master Degree in Engineering & Biotechnology from Columbia University.
Leading DBA development and execution, as well as Data Information technical team management and maintaining the DB standards and databases that service CBS.COM, CBSSPORTS.COM, CBSNEWS.COM, STARTREK.COM, SHO.COM, CBSCORP.COM, THEINSIDER.COM.
Currently, David is a Vice President of System Integration at BankUnited and is in charge of conversion of the banking core system.

Do you think the education you’ve invested in helped you on the road to success?
My educational past has helped in getting me to where I am today. More pivotal than the education itself, which was valuable, was the network I was able to establish and maintain.  In the IT industry your network and reputation is what allows for advancement and building your success. I have also had the pleasure of having great mentors and still continue to take their guidance after all these years in the industry.

What was the “big break” in your career?
I would consider my big break to be with a small, and now insignificant company called RealtyIQ.  I was given the overall opportunity to design a large scale web application that provided commercial and industrial data on the web.  This was very early on in the dot com boom.  This opportunity gave me my first start in architecture and design and it provided the spark into what became my passion for data and information architecture.  I also have to credit the management team who extended their faith in me given my level of experience at the time.  I consider it a big break because it allowed me to do more with very advanced technology than I would have ever had given my expertise at the time.

Who has been the main influence on your current situation?
The main driver for my current choices, are my two wonderful children, Matthew and Surina.  I made the choice to stay local after my divorce and spend as much time with them as possible.  I am now working for regional bank that is growing by leaps and bounds and that is indeed exciting in this economy. I have been allowed the opportunity to redevelop and architect the future state of the data warehouse/reporting area along with modernization and integration of new banking systems

What were some of the obstacles that you had to overcome to get to where you are now? How do you overcome failure?
Looking back I have been fortunate to have the confidence of business teams and my colleagues, as a result most of the challenges have been in the work itself.  I attribute that fortune to always keeping a positive outlook regardless of the circumstance. My father taught me to let “your attitude, dictate your altitude”.  That has been something that I believe allows me to have more success than the person that lets simple issues become setbacks.
I believe failure is something that you can overcome easily once you learn from it and apply that knowledge.  I don’t believe failure is something that you overcome, but more so allows you to measure growth and success.  That sounds somewhat philosophical, but I believe it’s the formula for success.

Can you tell us of an interesting story from your professional life?

I have many moments that I can recall in my career that brings a smile. One of the most memorable happened in Cancun in a data center that had a failed A/C unit. We opened the windows and brought in large fans to cool the equipment. We experienced a failure on the main network and when we went in the room we found a monkey making off with a fiber optic cable. You can’t make this stuff up, we chased him down but never retrieved the cable. I will never forget how desperately we chased that monkey and how he taunted us thinking it was a game. I laugh now, but at the time it did not seem so funny running through the woods to get him. In the end we had to fly a new cable in, given the location and type of cable.

As a young professional, what were some of the mistakes that you made and what did you learn?
I have made many mistakes in my career most of them out of ignorance. The worst of those I have found have been exacerbated by me not listening to more experienced folks. I think I was always anxious to prove my abilities and that has a cost. I learn to use my anatomy as its defined. I have two ears and one mouth, so I try to listen twice as much as I speak.

How do you measure success?
The measurement of anything is based on what you use to measure it. Success is one of the most difficult things to define.  I measure success through the effectiveness of my efforts and the results it brings to others. I depend on others to define my level of success and it’s something I have a hard time acknowledging. The recommendation and the confidence others place on my abilities define to me how successful I truly have been from an overall perspective.

What is one advice that you can offer to your readers?
The best advice I can offer, is to be diligent and genuinely excited about any challenge that you choose to take. All too often I see people given menial or small tasks and never take it to the best level, we always want more. I have found if you do much with the little tasks, people with have confidence giving you the bigger challenges to take up and lead. It’s a matter of taking a seed and growing a plant before trying to plant an entire field. This adage can be applied to most things in life.

What do you do for fun?
I love to dance and get outdoors.  I am an avid diver and love all activities around water.  I am also from the Caribbean, so I enjoy going to the Carnival.  I enjoy spending time with my friends and also going places with my kids. They consistently offer great lessons in life and laughter. I have a great sense for adventure so I am usually always ready to give it a try.

What is your favorite 1) gadget(s), 2) software(s), 3) website(s) that make your life easier and more productive?
1: Ipad
2: Linux
3: Ihack.com/Wikipedia.com/digg.com/Hulu.com

Whom would you like to see featured here and why?
I would like to see Linus Torvald or one of the inventors of Youtube (Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim)

What is the best way for our readers to connect with you?
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidskhan
davidkhan@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing the message ...i got the message.....very nice blog..

    Pune Real Estate Brokers



    ReplyDelete